If your household budget is tight (and whose isn't?), then you may think that postponing or foregoing your annual service call for your cooling system is a good way to save a little money. However, such logic may just be a little short-sighted. Having your HVAC system professionally serviced before the start of the warm weather season can actually help save you money in the long run.
Benefits of an annual HVAC service call
1. Saving energy. One of the things that the technician does during an HVAC service call is to thoroughly clean your cooling system. A dust- and debris-clogged system will cause your system to have to work harder to achieve the same results, using more energy than necessary and increasing your household's carbon footprint.
2. Lower utility bills. Using less energy by having a clean cooling system also translates to lower monthly electric bills.
3. Less frequent repair expenses. Having an HVAC technician examine your system at the beginning of the warm weather season helps to prevent any catastrophic, major repairs or system failures. By catching a problem early, it is more likely that it can be repaired inexpensively and that you won't have to suffer with no air conditioning in the heat of the summer.
4. Longer lifespan for your equipment. A well-maintained cooling system will generally last longer than one that isn't lubricated and cleaned regularly. Since the average cost of a new cooling system is currently more than $5,000, extending the life of your system for even a few years can save you a significant amount in the long run.
5. Improved indoor air quality. Yet another benefit of having your cooling system professionally cleaned each year is that all of that dust and debris will be removed and won't continue to be circulated throughout your home, compromising the air you and your family breathe. This can be especially beneficial if you or someone in your household has a chronic breathing issue, such as COPD or asthma.
While having an HVAC technician visit your home for a service call every year may seem like an unnecessary expense, that annual service call can help you save energy, save money on your utility bills, help prevent expensive repairs, improve the quality of the air you breathe inside your house, and even extend the lifespan of your cooling system. The money you spend on that service call is money well spent. For more information, contact an HVAC contractor at a company like A Bailey Plumbing.